Advanced Nursing Practice: A Growing Presence.
Advanced Nursing Practice: Patterns of Development.
Definition of Advanced Practice Nurse.
Chapter 2: Nature of Practice.
Advanced Practice Nursing (APN) Characteristics.
- ICN Official Position on APN Characteristics.
- Country Illustrations.
Labelling the Role.
- Title Protection.
Scope of Practice.
- What is Scope of Practice?.
- What Influences Scope of Practice?.
- Points to Consider When Defining Scope of Practice?.
Competency: The Basis for Education and Practice.
- Creating a Competency Map.
- Formulating Competency Statements.
Advanced Tasks versus Advanced Roles.
Controversial Practice Topics.
- Prescriptive Authority.
- Approaching APN Prescribing.
- The Diagnosis Debate.
- Approaching APN Diagnosing.
- Hospital Privileges.
- Approaching APN Hospital Privileges.
Domains of Practice.
Chapter 3: Role and Practice Development.
Striving for the Ideal: Transitional Processes.
Assessing the Opportunity and Need for Advanced Nursing Practice.
Scanning the Environment.
- Stakeholder Analysis.
- SWOT Analysis.
Introducing and Supporting Advanced Nursing Practice.
Interfacing with Nurses, Physicians, Organisations and the Public.
- Interface with Nursing.
- Collegial Respect and Encouragement.
- Strategies for Promoting Positive Nursing Interface.
- Interface with Medicine.
- Strategies for Promoting Positive Medicine Interface.
- Interface with Organisational Structures.
- Strategies for Interfacing with Organisational Structures.
- Interface with the Public.
- Strategies for Interfacing with the Public.
Socialisation: Role Support.
- Strategies to Support New APNs.
Ethical Dimensions of the Advanced Nursing Practice Role.
Chapter 4: Regulation.
The Regulatory/Legislative Framework.
Factors Influencing the Regulatory/Legislative Systems.
Credentialing Advanced Nursing Practice.
Components of the Credentialing Framework.
- The Credentialee.
- Credentialing mechanisms.
- Credentialing the Advanced Practice Nurse.
- Accrediting Educational institutions and Programmes.
- Term or Duration.
- Mutual Recognition Agreements.
Model for a Regulatory System for Advanced Nursing Practice.
Exploring Your Regulatory Environment.
- Forming an Overview of the Legislative/Regulatory Systems.
- Understanding Regulatory and Legal Frameworks for Advanced Nursing Practice Advocating For Regulatory/legislative Change.
- Document Analysis.
- Advocacy Strategies.
Chapter 5: Education for Advance Nursing Practice.
Characteristics of Advanced Nursing Practice Education.
- The Case for Masters Level Education.
- Debate Around Masters Level Education.
- Country Variation in Education Philosophy, Approach and Development.
Paths of Entry Into Programmes.
Vignettes of Advanced Nursing Practice Educational Development.
Assessment of Prior Experience and Bridging Mechanisms.
- A Curriculum Framework to Promote Flexibility.
- Curriculum: Course Distribution.
Advanced Practice Clinical Experience.
- Settings for Clinical Experience.
- Preceptors and Quality of Clinical Placements.
- Planning for the Precepting Experience.
- Examples of APN Student Practicum in New Settings.
Faculty Background and Preparation.
Professional Development and Continuing Education.
Educational Standards and Programme Accreditation.
Chapter 6: Research.
Theoretical Perspective of Advanced Nursing Practice.
Exploring the Research Perspective.
- Promoting Diverse and Analytical Research.
- Research for Advocacy.
Enhancing Knowledge and Skills in Research.
- The Research Culture.
- Research Competence.
- Writing for Publication.
- Starting to Write.
- Manuscript Preparation.
Searching for Research Funding.
International Classification for Nursing Practice ® (ICNP): A Tool for Collaborative Nursing Research.
An International Research Agenda for Advanced Nursing Practice.
Chapter 7: Future Prospects and Critical Challenges for Advanced Nursing Practice.
- Preparing a Health Care Workforce for the 21st Century.
- Primary Health Care Services.
- Chronic Conditions and Home Care.
- Technology and Telehealth.
- Nurse Entrepreneurs.
- Critical Challenge 1: Integrating Advanced Practice Nurses Into Workforce Planning.
- Critical Challenge 2: International Consensus Building Around Definitions, Scope of Practice, Core Competencies and Education.
- Critical Challenge 3: Capacity Building to Strengthen Advanced Nursing Practice in Health Systems Internationally.
- Critical Challenge 4: Defining the Gaps and Finding the Evidence.
Appendix 1 Key Informant Survey on Advanced Nursing Practice (ANP) Self-Administered Questionnaire.
Appendix 2 Scope of Practice Examples.
Appendix 3 Strengthens, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats SWOT).
Appendix 4 Principles to Guide Standards Development.
Appendix 5 Samples of Course Descriptions in an Advanced Nursing Practice Curriculum.
Appendix 6 Preceptor Guidelines, Student and Preceptor Evaluation Form.
Appendix 7 Checklist for authors preparing to submit an article for publication.
Appendix 8 Example of statements in an ICNP® Catalogue on Adherence to Treatment.
Bibliography from Key Informants.
Louise Winfield, University of Plymouth
* Draws on the International Council of Nurses (ICN) definition and characteristics for advanced practice
* Addresses enhanced nursing roles within the international context
* Examines standards of practice, competencies and regulation
* Provides strategies for developing advanced practice nursing initiatives
* Includes global examples of successful models for initiating advanced nursing practice