The goal of Introduction to Information Systems, Fourth Canadian Edition remains the same: to teach all business majors, especially undergraduate ones, how to use information technology to master their current or future jobs and to help ensure the success of their organization. To accomplish this goal, this text helps students to become informed users; that is, persons knowledgeable about information systems and information technology. The focus is not on merely learning the concepts of IT but rather on applying those concepts to facilitate business processes. The authors concentrate on placing information systems in the context of business, so that students will more readily grasp the concepts presented in the text. The theme of this book is What's In IT for Me? This question is asked by all students who take this course. The book will show you that IT is the backbone of any business, whether a student is majoring in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, or Production/Operations Management. Information for the Management Information Systems (MIS) major is also included.
- WileyPLUS Learning Space is a collaborative learning environment that provides immediate insight into strengths and problem areas through a combination of dynamic course materials and visual reports, so that both you and your students can act on what’s most important. With WileyPLUS Learning Space students make deeper connections as they interact with course material and each other.
Included in this course:
- New content added to Chapter 5 - Data and Knowledge Management
- Expanded coverage of data analytics/big data
- New section on RELATIONAL DATABASE OPERATIONS
- Chapter 3 – Information Security (moved up from Ch 13)
- Chapter 8 - A new section on The Internet of Things
- New or updated chapter opening and closing cases
- New or updated IT’s About Business features
- New technology guide on Database Operation
- Expanded coverage of Cloud Computing and Artificial Intelligence
- Running case is now Internship activities
- New author videos for each section of the text. These video lectures (WPLS only) in particular will work well with the flipping the classroom trend. WileyPLUS Learning Space functionality and assets further support flipping the classroom experience.
- What’s in IT for me? This instructor-praised feature demonstrates how IT topics relate to students in business majors such as Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Operations Management, MIS, and Human Resource Management.
- Focus on Ethics. With corporate scandals appearing almost daily in the news, ethics and ethical questions have come to the forefront of business people’s minds. In this new edition, this chapter has moved closer to the beginning. Throughout the entire text, we have included examples and cases that focus on business ethics.
- Big Data (Data and Knowledge Management). With increased importance of big data and business analytics, it is more important to understand how data is manipulated in a business. This edition also has a new section on relational database operations.
- Technology Guides. Found at the end of the textbook, these provide more details on the hardware, software, and other technology underlying the key information systems discussed throughout the text. In this way, the chapters can focus on how technology is used in organizations, while the technology guides allow students to “look under the hood” to see how things work.
- NEW! WileyPLUS Learning Space is a collaborative learning environment that provides immediate insight into strengths and problem areas through a combination of dynamic course materials and visual reports, so that both you and your students can act on what’s most important. With WileyPLUS Learning Space students make deeper connections as they interact with course material and each other. Rainer 4ce will also have ORION adaptive practice that helps students build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively.
- NEW! Author Video Lessons. Found in WileyPLUS Learning Space, these video lectures are available for each learning objective and are accompanied by a quick quiz. Co-author Brad Prince flips his own classroom and has created a brief instructor guide on using these new materials.
- Office 2016 Lab Manual shows students how to use Excel and apply it in a business case. Instructors also have media-enriched PowerPoint presentations created by Kelly Rainer.