DescriptionInvestigating Digital Crimeis an accessible introduction to the relationship between the parallel growth of new digital technologies and their criminal exploitation. The book examines the reaction of the criminal justice system, both in terms of the general legislative context but also from the perspective of law enforcement, and provides a clear account of the different forms of digital crime. In order to enhance student understanding, this book includes a detailed description and analysis of digital crimes such as smart card crime, cyber crimes and telecommunication crimes in relation to a number of theoretical perspectives. The book clearly identifies the relationship between developments in digital technologies and changes in criminal behaviour.
Numerous case studies are provided throughout, with examples from the UK, other European nations and the US illustrating both the theoretical perspectives offered and the associated investigative context. Opening with an introduction to the challenges of new technology crime and background to the phenomena, the book then moves on to discuss the legislative context, for example, the interception of email and its use as evidence in court. The latter half of the book examines a range of new technology crimes, from the illegal modification of games consoles and mobile phones, through to new forms of identity theft, card crime and the use of new technology by sex offenders.
- Covers a broad range of digital crime from IPR crime through to identity theft, telecommunications and card crime
- Written by leading researchers, teachers and practitioners in the field
- Offers a theoretical understanding and explanation of new technology crime and clearly describes and analyses the investigative and legislative context
- Includes numerous global case studies throughout to illustrate the theory in practice and to appeal to an international audience
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: Investigating Digital Crime
Digital Forensics: Digital Evidence in Criminal Investigations (Paperback $70.00)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
List of Contributors (Robin Bryant).
1. The Challenge of Digital Crime (Robin Bryant).
2. The Legislative Context for Digital Crime (Tracey Stevens).
3. Investigating Digital Crime (Ian Kennedy).
4. Countering Cybercrime (Denis Edgar-Nevill and Paul Stephens).
5. Encryption (Dave O'Reilly and Paul Stephens).
6. IPR and Technological Protection Measures (Paul Stephens).
7. Plastic Card Crime (Robin Bryant and Paul Stephens).
8. Telecommunications Fraud (Joe Carthy, Tahar Kechadi and Paul Gillen).
9. Identity and Identity Theft (Angus Marshall and Paul Stephens).
10. Internet Grooming and Paedophile Crimes (Denis Edgar-Nevill).
11. Digitalisation and Crime (Robin Bryant and Paul Stephens).
12. Criminological and Motivational Perspectives (Robin Bryant and Angus Marshall).