Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: Islam in the Middle East: A Living Tradition
Islamic Philosophy (Hardcover $69.95)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
Transliteration and Abbreviations.
1. The Islamic Community through History.
2. The Foundations of Islamic Doctrine and the Community of Believers.
3. Authority and Knowledge.
4. The Five Pillars.
5. Islamic Mysticism.
6. Islamic Reformism.
7. Islamism: A General Overview.
8. Islamism at the Local Level.
"Books such as Islam in the Middle East remind us that academics can play a positive role in challenging the meanings that practitioners ascribe to the world’s religions and regions. Let us hope the book not only appears on university reading lists but that it also finds a way into the briefcases of politicians in London and Washington." (Times Higher Educational Supplement)
"Islam in the Middle East provides a comprehensive introduction to a living religious tradition that is currently at the centre of much international attention." (Journal of Social Anthropology)
- A concise introduction to the Islamic tradition as practiced
- Offers numerous ethnographic examples from the Middle East and North Africa
- Explores key concepts, including the doctrinal foundations of Islam; the role of religious scholars; the five pillars; and Islamic 'orthodoxy'
- Includes discussion of spirit possession cults as integral part of Islamic tradition
- Introduces politics and current affairs as key elements in understanding contemporary Islamic discourse