Joining Forces: Making One Plus One Equal Three in Mergers, Acquisitions, and Alliances, Revised and Updated
If 75 percent of all mergers fail, what makes the other 25 percent succeed?
Mergers, acquisitions, and alliances are more vital today than ever before in driving business success. This indispensible guide offers proven strategies and sound solutions to the multitude of integration issues that inevitably arise, and shows how to create a combined business that meets its strategic and financial objectives, competes better, and offers personal and organizational enhancements. Dubbed ""merger mavens"" by Fortune magazine, the authors report lessons learned from their experience in over 100 combinations. Executives, managers, and employees alikein all industries and sectorswill find useful examples, strategies, and tools here.
Praise for Joining Forces
""This book will help both M&A veterans and those new to the game. The authorsprovide great insights into the human, cultural, organizational, and strategic factors that matter in M&A success.""Richard Kovacevich, chairman and CEO emeritus, Wells Fargo & Co.
""Don't commit to the merger or acquisition without them! I have personally witnessed how hard it is on everyoneemployees, shareholders, communities, and especially executivesto work through an improperly managed merger. I have known Marks and Mirvis for almost twenty-five years and the only mistake our organization made was that we did not consult them soon enough. Their new book reflects unequalled experience and intellect. Don't merge, acquire, or be acquired without it!""Michael R. Losey, CEO (emeritus), Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
""Joining Forces is a terrific resource for managers who want to understand thehuman dynamics of mergers and acquisitions, and a must-read for those who have to lead their companies through one. It is based on the latest research and providespractical insights and advice from authors who know M&A inside out."" Edward E. Lawler III, Distinguished Professor of Business, Marshall School ofBusiness, University of Southern California
I Creating Value in Mergers, Acquisitions, and Alliances.
1 The Elusive Equation.
2 What Goes Wrong and How to Make It Right.
II The Precombination Phase.
3 Strategic and Operational Preparation.
4 Psychological Preparation.
III The Combination Phase.
5 Leading the Combination.
6 Putting Companies Together—The Transition Structure.
7 Managing People through the Transition.
8 Easing the Clash of Cultures.
IV The Postcombination Phase.
9 Building the New Organization and Culture.
10 Joining People and Teams Together.
11 Damage Control and Recovery.
V Building M&A Competence.
12 Tracking and Learning from the Combination.
13 Joining Forces—Building M&A Competency.