List of Abbreviations.
Introduction: Beginning with Silence.
1. Assessing Silence.
2. Who Hears?.
3. Resurrection Silence.
4. Hearing the Word.
5. Wisdom and Folly: Seeking places to stand.
6. Hearing with God’s Ears: Interpreting practices of silence.
7. Privacy, Omniscience and the Silence of God.
“What starts off, quite modestly, as an exploration of what theologians and others have said about silence, develops into a serious challenge to the way theology itself is done, and indeed, to the way other researches are done, and conversation held … it is work that will yield rich insights.”
- An original, theologically informed work, written by a significant Quaker theologian
- Provides a new perspective on Christian practices of silence
- Considers the theological and ethical significance of these practices
- Relates silence, listening and communication to major contemporary issues
- Takes forward theological engagement with feminist thought
- Contributes to ongoing research into the theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.