Laboratory Animal Law: Legal Control of the Use of Animals in Research, 2nd Edition
DescriptionPraise for the first edition:
“It is hard to see how anyone with responsibilities under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act could manage without a book such as this.” Michael Balls, review published in Atla
“The strength of the book lies in the way Kevin Dolan brings his experience to bear blending information from various sources.” Patrick Sinnett-Smith, review published in RDS News
Written by the leading expert in this field, this is the only book providing practical guidance on the legal obligations of caring for laboratory animals. Up-to-date information on all relevant UK legislation and guidelines is given, with the main emphasis being on the interpretation of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
New to this edition:
*Emphasis throughout is now on the practical application of legal controls of the use of animals in research.
*Updated where relevant to keep in line with new welfare legislation.
*Coverage of current format of application for personal and project licences.
*Expanded coverage of Certificates of Designation.
*Impact of the Freedom of Information Act is discussed.
A vital resource for all those involved with the use of animals in research, and especially those studying for qualifications or licences in this field.
1. The legal protection of animals.
Part II: The Animals (Scientific Procedures Act) 1986 - A(SP)A:.
2. The coming of the law on laboratory animals.
3. The protected animal.
4. The regulated procedure.
5. Schedule I of the A(SP)A.
6. The personal licence.
7. The project licence.
8. Training of those with responsibilities under the A(SP)A.
9. Certificates of designation.
10. Codes of practice.
11. The re-use of animals.
12. Records, returns and reports.
13. Offences, penalties, prosecutions and peripheral litigation.
14. Officials and committees.
Part III: Other Relevant Legislation:.
15. The law on veterinary surgery.
16. Drugs in research.
17. Liability in the animal unit.
18. Ecological aspects of animal legislation.
19. Regulations relevant to animals in research and the impact of European legislation.
20. Animal welfare in law.
21. Legal aspects of the transport of animals.
22. Law on the import and export of animals.
Table of Cases.
Table of Statutes.
Table of Statutory Instruments.
Table of European Legislation
- The only book providing guidance on the legal obligations of caring for laboratory animals in the UK.
- Written by the leading expert in the field.
- New edition updated to cover all the latest relevant legislation and guidelines, with particular emphasis on the practical application of legal controls.