Texts and Abbreviations.
1. History, Leisure, and Ancient Rome.
4. Leisure and Otium. .
5. Blood, Swea, and Charioteers: The Imperial Games.
6. The Baths.
7. Goodbye to Gravitas: Popular Culture and Leisure.
9. Sex and the Problematization of Leisure.
10. Leisure and the Dialectic of Rome.
11. Epilogue: History, Historicism and Relativism.
* It examines largely ignored aspects of Roman life such as gambling, taverns, prostitution and bathing.
* Very up-to-date in terms of broader debates in history and historiography, drawing on well known authors such as Shama and Geertz to re-examine a central dimension of Roman social life.