- Eight minibooks spanning over 850 pages deliver the scoop on the latest versions of seven leading Linux distributions: Fedora Core, SUSE, Debian, Xandros, SimplyMEPIS, Knoppix, and Ubuntu
- The DVD includes the full Fedora Core and Knoppix distributions plus ISO images of the other distributions covered, saving hours of downloading time
- This new edition includes all-new coverage of the SimplyMEPIS and Ubuntdistributions, an added section on the Skype Internet telephone system, and expanded coverage of Firefox, SELinux, and OpenOffice.org applications
- The eight minibooks cover Linux basics, desktops, networking, the Internet, administration, security, Internet servers, and programming
- The Linux share of the operating system market is expected to grow from three to 11 percent in the next four years
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
Book I: Linux Basics.
Chapter 1: Introducing Linux.
Chapter 2: Installing Linux.
Chapter 3: Troubleshooting and Configuring Linux.
Chapter 4: Trying Out Linux.
Book II: Linux Desktops.
Chapter 1: Introducing the GUI Desktops.
Chapter 2: Commanding the Shell.
Chapter 3: Navigating the Linux File System.
Chapter 4: Introducing Linux Applications.
Chapter 5: Using Text Editors.
Book III: Networking.
Chapter 1: Connecting to the Internet.
Chapter 2: Setting Up a Local Area Network.
Chapter 3: Adding a Wireless Ethernet LAN.
Chapter 4: Managing the Network.
Book IV: Internet.
Chapter 1: E-Mailing and IMing in Linux.
Chapter 2: Browsing the Web.
Chapter 3: Reading Newsgroups and RSS Feeds.
Chapter 4: Using FTP.
Book V: Administration.
Chapter 1: Introducing Basic System Administration.
Chapter 2: Managing Users and Groups.
Chapter 3: Managing File Systems.
Chapter 4: Installing and Updating Applications.
Chapter 5: Customizing the Linux Kernel.
Book VI: Security.
Chapter 1: Introducing Linux Security.
Chapter 2: Securing a Linux Host.
Chapter 3: Improving Network Security.
Chapter 4: Performing Computer Security Audits.
Book VII: Internet Servers.
Chapter 1: Managing Internet Services.
Chapter 2: Running a Web Server.
Chapter 3: Setting Up the FTP Server.
Chapter 4: Managing Mail and News Servers.
Chapter 5: Managing DNS.
Chapter 6: Using Samba and NFS.
Book VIII: Programming.
Chapter 1: Programming in Linux.
Chapter 2: Programming in C.
Chapter 3: Writing Shell Scripts.
Chapter 4: Programming in Perl.