1. The Individual Under Siege.
2. From Martyr to Hero, and from Hero to Celebrity.
3. Culture: Obstreperous and Unmanageable.
4. Seeking Shelter in a Pandora Box or Fear, Security and the City.
5. Consumers in Liquid-Modern Times.
6. Learning to Walk in Quicksand.
7. Thinking in Dark Times (Arendt and Adorno Revisited).
- A new book by one of the most original and brilliant social thinkers of our time.
- Extends and develops some of the key themes in other Bauman titles, namely what it is like to live in a time of ‘liquid modernity’, identity, culture and consumerism.
- Bauman has become a writer of cult status, and this new book is likely to attract considerable attention.
- Whilst Bauman’s discussion of life at the beginning of the 21st century is salient for us all, it is likely to become required reading for undergraduate courses on consumer culture and society and on social theory.