Written to provide hands-on cases for use in conjunction with an Introduction to IS/MIS text, MIS Cases: Solving Small Business Scenarios Using Application Software, Second Edition provides opportunities for business students to apply Microsoft Office skills as part of the Intro IS/MIS course. Gardner/Rathswohl is a brief casebook containing twenty-two small business case scenarios that teach students problem-solving and hands-on skills in Excel, Access, and website design.
PART 1 DEVELOPING A DATABASE APPLICATION 1
CHAPTER 1 Access—Tables and Forms 3
Case 1 Up the Hill Bakery 3
Case 2 Dr. Garrett’s Chiropractic Office 10
Case 3 Home Town Realty 16
CHAPTER 2 Access—Queries and Reports 24
Case 4 Up the Hill Bakery 24
Case 5 Earth Foods Grocery Store 33
Case 6 Destination Corporate Event
Planning, Inc. 40
CHAPTER 3 Access—Advanced Queries and Reports 47
Case 7 Up the Hill Bakery 47
Case 8 Sun and Beach Clothing 55
Case 9 Just Breathe Yoga Center 62
PART 2 DEVELOPING A SPREADSHEET APPLICATION 79
CHAPTER 4 Excel—Spreadsheet Basics 81
Case 10 Up the Hill Bakery 81
Case 11 Celebrations for Charity 87
Case 12 Dr. William Gardner’s Dental Office 92
CHAPTER 5 Excel—Intermediate Design Techniques 98
Case 13 Up the Hill Bakery 98
Case 14 JB Bike Rental 108
Case 15 Torero Tennis Team 114
CHAPTER 6 Excel—Advanced Design Techniques 121
Case 16 Up the Hill Bakery 121
Case 17 Maxine’s Travel Agency 131
Case 18 Thomas Paul Investment, Inc. 137
PART 3 DEVELOPING A WEBSITE APPLICATION 143
CHAPTER 7 Website Design 145
Case 19 Up the Hill Bakery 145
Case 20 Bella Spa 150
Case 21 Legends 153
- Discussion questions at the end of each case challenge students' critical thinking skills and encourage a higher level of analytical reasoning.
- All cases updated to Microsoft Office 2010.
- Each chapter includes a teaching case for class demonstration and two assignment cases that match the skill set of the teaching case.
- Skill level for each set of cases progresses from beginning to intermediate to advanced.
Each case features the following pedagogy:
- Preview—Provides a quick synopsis of the small business case and what is to be accomplished within the case.
- Skill Set—Lists the skills that will be covered within the case and the skills that should be utilized in completing the assignment following the case.
- Background—Provides a complete description and an expanded explanation of the desired goal of the small business scenario.