About the authors xiii
Applications at a glance xvi
Transition guide xxiii
How to use this book xxiv
Additional resources xxviii
Chapter 1 The contemporary workplace 1
Chapter 2 Historical foundations of management 33
Chapter 3 Environment and diversity 57
Chapter 4 International dimensions of management 87
Chapter 5 Ethical behaviour and social responsibility 119
Chapter 6 Sustainability 147
Chapter 7 Information and decision-making 169
Chapter 8 Planning 197
Chapter 9 Strategic management 223
Chapter 10 Organising 257
Chapter 11 Controlling 293
Chapter 12 Human resource management 317
Chapter 13 Leading 359
Chapter 14 Communication and interpersonal skills 387
Chapter 15 Motivation and rewards 421
Chapter 16 Individuals, job design and stress 451
Chapter 17 Teams and teamwork 485
Chapter 18 Leading and managing change 519
Chapter 19 Entrepreneurship and new ventures 559
Chapter 20 Operations and services management 581
Case studies 605
CAREER READINESS WORKBOOK
Assignment writing 621
Research and presentation projects 629
Exercises in teamwork 633
- Brand new dedicated chapter on ‘Sustainability’.
- Comprehensive end-of-book case studies that tie together concepts and themes from multiple chapters.
- New and/or updated in-chapter research, statistics and boxed features.
- All new end-of-chapter case studies examples to illustrate key concepts.
- Regional research activities for each chapter, to encourage students to analyse a relevant and topical management journal article.
- Colour coded boxes throughout the text represent seven contemporary recurring management themes (Asian perspectives, diversity, sustainability, ethics/social responsibility, technology, innovation and globalisation).
- Critical analysis questionsposed at strategic points throughout each chapter encourage students to analyse and/or debate real-world issues facing contemporary managers.
- Career Readiness Workbookat the back of the text provides numerous individual and group activities, ideal for either tutorials/workshops or self-study.
- Interactive Study Guide to accompany the text contains multimedia resources ideal for online learning and the application of key management concepts.