About the authors xi
Applications at a glance xiv
Transition guide xxi
How to use this book xxii
Additional resources xxvi
Chapter 1 The contemporary workplace 1
Chapter 2 Historical foundations of management 33
Chapter 3 Environment and diversity 57
Chapter 4 International dimensions of management 87
Chapter 5 Ethical behaviour and social responsibility 119
Chapter 6 Information and decision-making 147
Chapter 7 Planning 175
Chapter 8 Strategic management 201
Chapter 9 Organising 235
Chapter 10 Controlling 271
Chapter 11 Human resource management 295
Chapter 12 Leading 337
Chapter 13 Communication and interpersonal skills 365
Chapter 14 Motivation and rewards 399
Chapter 15 Leading and managing change 429
Case studies 469
CAREER READINESS WORKBOOK
Assignment writing 485
Research and presentation projects 493
Exercises in teamwork 497
- Comprehensive end-of-book case studies that tie together concepts and themes from multiple chapters.
- New and/or updated in-chapter research, statistics and boxed features.
- All new end-of-chapter case studies examples to illustrate key concepts.
- Regional research activities for each chapter, to encourage students to analyse a relevant and topical management journal article.
- Colour coded boxes throughout the text represent seven contemporary recurring management themes (Asian perspectives, diversity, sustainability, ethics/social responsibility, technology, innovation and globalisation).
- Critical analysis questionsposed at strategic points throughout each chapter encourage students to analyse and/or debate real-world issues facing contemporary managers.
- Career Readiness Workbookat the back of the text provides numerous individual and group activities, ideal for either tutorials/workshops or self-study.
- Interactive Study Guide to accompany the text contains multimedia resources ideal for online learning and the application of key management concepts.