DescriptionThe 1.4 version of Java 2 Standard Edition provides many new programming capabilities while making plenty of old tasks easier. But without reliable guidance, you'll find it hard to take advantage of even a fraction of what the new SDK has to offer. Filled with detailed coverage of the new technology, step-by-step instruction, and tips from an acclaimed Java consultant and author, Mastering Java 2, J2SE 1.4 is the resource you'll want to keep within easy reach.
* Understanding the Java programming language
* Building forms with the Swing component set
* Creating superior graphics with the Java 2D API
* Supporting advanced data structures with the Collections API
* Improving the speed of your Java applications
* Taking advantage of Swing's support of drag and drop
* Understanding OOP concepts, including UML
* Working with Java's new assertion capabilities
* Using Java's new I/O capabilities: nonblocking read and write operations, application preferences, and logging
* Solving tough printing challenges
* Working with installation options, including Java Plug-in and Java Web Start
* Working with multiple threads and timer tasks
Part 1: Foundations of Java.
Chapter 1: Introducing Java.
Chapter 2: Getting Started with the Java 2 SDK.
Chapter 3: Working with Objects.
Chapter 4: Datatypes, Modifiers, and Expressions.
Chapter 5: Packaging Class and Interface Access.
Chapter 6: Arrays and Flow-Control Statements.
Chapter 7: Exception Handling and Assertions.
Chapter 8: Threads and Multithreading.
Part 2: Exploring the Java Libraries.
Chapter 9: Standard Java Packages.
Chapter 10: Animation and Images.
Chapter 11: 2D Graphics and Imaging.
Chapter 12: GUI Layout Management.
Chapter 13: Swing GUI Components.
Chapter 14: Event Handling.
Chapter 15: Advanced Swing Capabilities.
Chapter 16: Transferring Data.
Chapter 17: Java Utilities.
Chapter 18: Advanced Applet Programming.
Chapter 19: Streams and Input/Output Programming.
Chapter 20: Printing.
Chapter 21: JavaBeans.
Chapter 22: Network Programming.
Chapter 23: Java Extension Libraries.
Appendix A: Java Language Syntax.
Appendix B: Online Resources.
Glossary of Terms.