Mastering Solaris 8
Mastering Solaris 8
Product not available for purchase
DescriptionPut the Strengths of Solaris to Work for Your Organization
Mastering Solaris 8 is an indispensable guide to the version of UNIX famed for its network services and robustness as a Web and application server. Inside, you'll find essential information on installing, configuring, and optimizing Sun Microsystems' latest release, along with the step-by-step instruction and expert advice you need to make Solaris the cornerstone of an effective, secure network. Coverage includes:
- Installing Solaris
- Logging in and managing sessions
- Working with commands and utilities
- Managing files, folders, and directories
- Using the CDE and OpenWindows desktops
- Installing and configuring devices
- Configuring a workstation for networking
- Setting up and managing network printing
- Installing programs
- Working with user and group accounts
- Backing up and restoring files and folders
- Using the Mail and Calendar applications
- Accessing the Internet
- Using text editors
- Working with the Bourne, Korn, and C Shells
- Troubleshooting your workstation or server
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO SOLARIS.
Chapter 1: The Solaris 8 Operating System.
Chapter 2: About Solaris.
Chapter 3: Installing Solaris 8.
Chapter 4: Basic Operations.
Chapter 5: The File System.
Chapter 6: Devices.
Chapter 7: The Solaris Desktop.
Chapter 8: Security.
PART II: SOLARIS AND THE NETWORK.
Chapter 9: Network Services.
Chapter 10: Printing.
Chapter 11: User Accounts and Groups.
Chapter 12: Working with File Utilities.
Chapter 13: Mailer and Calendar.
Chapter 14: Networking and the Internet.
Chapter 15: Memory and Process Management.
PART III: WORKING WITH SHELLS IN SOLARIS.
Chapter 16: Using the vi and Text Editor.
Chapter 17: Understanding Shells.
Chapter 18: The Bourne Shell.
Chapter 19: The Korn Shell.
Chapter 20: The C Shell.
PART IV: TROUBLESHOOTING.
Chapter 21: Troubleshooting.