DescriptionA colorful tour through the intriguing world of mathematics
Take a grand tour of the best of modern math, its most elegant solutions, most clever discoveries, most mind-bending propositions, and most impressive personalities. Writing with a light touch while showing the real mathematics, author Peter Schumer introduces you to the history of mathematics, number theory, combinatorics, geometry, graph theory, and ""recreational mathematics."" Requiring only high school math and a healthy curiosity, Mathematical Journeys helps you explore all those aspects of math that mathematicians themselves find most delightful. You’ll discover brilliant, sometimes quirky and humorous tidbits like how to compute the digits of pi, the Josephus problem, mathematical amusements such as Nim and Wythoff’s game, pizza slicing, and clever twists on rolling dice.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: Mathematical Journeys
The A to Z of Mathematics: A Basic Guide (Paperback $128.00)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
1. Let’s Get Cooking: A Variety of Mathematical Ingredients.
2. The Green Chicken Contest.
3. The Josephus Problem: Please Choose Me Last.
4. Nim and Wythoff’s Game: Or How to Get Others to Pay Your Bar Bill.
5. Mersenne Primes, Perfect Numbers, and Amicable Pairs.
6. The Harmonic Series . . . and Less.
7. Fermat Primes, the Chinese Remainder Theorem, and Lattice Points.
8. Tic-Tac-Toe, Magic Squares, and Latin Squares.
9. Mathematical Variations on Rolling Dice.
10. Pizza Slicing, Map Coloring, Pointillism, and Jack-in-the-Box.
11. Episodes in the Calculation of Pi.
12. A Sextet of Scintillating Problems.
13. Primality Testing Below a Quadrillion.
14. Erdös Number Zero.
15. Choosing Stamps to Mail a Letter, Let Me Count the Ways.
16. Pascal Potpourri.
Appendix: Comments and Solutions to Problems Worth Considering.