DescriptionMathematics for Elementary Teachers, 10th Edition establishes a solid math foundation for future teachers. Thoroughly revised with a clean, engaging design, the new 10th Edition of Musser, Peterson, and Burgers best-selling textbook focuses on one primary goal: helping students develop a deep understanding of mathematical concepts so they can teach with knowledge and confidence. The components in this complete learning program--from the textbook, to the e-Manipulative activities, to the Childrens Videos, to the online problem-solving tools, resource-rich website and Enhanced WileyPLUS--work in harmony to help achieve this goal. WileyPLUS sold separately from text.
1 Introduction to Problem Solving 2
2 Sets, Whole Numbers, and Numeration 42
3 Whole Numbers: Operations and Properties 84
4 Whole Number Computation—Mental, Electronic, and Written 128
5 Number Theory 174
6 Fractions 206
7 Decimals, Ratio, Proportion, and Percent 250
8 Integers 302
9 Rational Numbers, Real Numbers, and Algebra 338
10 Statistics 412
11 Probability 484
12 Geometric Shapes 546
13 Measurement 644
14 Geometry Using Triangle Congruence and Similarity 716
15 Geometry Using Coordinates 780
16 Geometry Using Transformations 820
Epilogue: An Eclectic Approach to Geometry 877
Topic 1 Elementary Logic 881
Topic 2 Clock Arithmetic: A Mathematical System 891
Answers to Exercise/Problem Sets A and B, Chapter Reviews, Chapter Tests, and Topics Section A1
- Common Core Standards, adopted in 45 states, have been added to this edition with grade levels in which they appear. The Common Core Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers know what they need to do to help them; NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) Standards are also referenced in margins
- QR CODES THROUGHOUT THE BOOK link students to “A Note to Our Students” that shows students how to maximize their use of the book, a WALK-THROUGH at the start of each chapter that gives students a preview & roadmap, and codes throughout each chapter link students to the author-created Children’s Videos
- Enhanced WileyPLUS that includes the new author-created Children’s Videos, updated student homework problems and new questions that assess e-Manipulative content and video content.
- Mathematical Tasks added to every chapter to guide class discussion and introduce new topics in class
- Key Concepts from the Common Core State standards for Mathematics, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics’, Principles and Standards for School Mathematics, and Curriculum Focal Points have been compiled on the third page of every chapter.
- Children’s Videos: a suite of Children’s Videos (4-5 per chapter). These video are linked to the text content via QR codes, which appear in the margins. The videos are interviews with students at different grade levels showing what problem-solving strategies they use for different math topics.
- Problem-Solving Emphasis: Features the largest collection of problems (over 3,000!), work examples, and problem-solving strategies in any text of its kind.
- Integrated Technology: Technology and content are integrated throughout the text in a meaningful way. The technology includes WileyPLUS, activities from the expanded e-Manipulative activities, spreadsheet activities, Geometer’s Sketchpad activities, and calculator activities using a graphing calculator
- Appropriate Topical Sequence: Moves from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract, reflecting the way math is generally taught in elementary schools.
- Common Core Standards and NCTM Standards: Bothare referenced throughout in the margin and reviewed at the beginning of each chapter, giving future teachers a comprehensive understanding of the standards they will be responsible for and the skills that their students will be tested on.