Mean Girls Grown Up: Adult Women Who Are Still Queen Bees, Middle Bees, and Afraid-to-Bees
DescriptionAlmost every woman has experienced bullying. Whether her role was that of victim, aggressor, or bystander, the pain of relational aggression (female bullying) lasts long after the incident has passed. In Mean Girls Grown Up, Cheryl Dellasega explores why women are often their own worst enemies, offering practical advice for a variety of situations. Drawing upon extensive research and interviews, she shares real-life stories from women as well as the knowledge of experts who have helped women overcome the negative effects of aggression. Readers will hear how adult women can be just as vicious as their younger counterparts, learn strategies for dealing with adult bullies, how to avoid being involved in relational aggression, and more. Dellasega outlines how women can change their behavior successfully by shifting away from aggression and embracing a spirit of cooperation in interactions with others.
Part One: Relational Aggression 201: The Who,What, and Why of RA.
1. All Grown Up and Ready to Sting: Adult Female Aggression.
2. Why Women Aren’t More Like Men.
3. Big Bullies and Other Aggressive Types: The Queen Bee.
4. From Mild to Bad and In Between: The Middle Bee.
5. Blindsided, Backstabbed, and Bruised: The Afraid-to-Bee.
6. Weapons of Choice.
Part Two: Our Own Worst Enemies: Aggression at Work, at Home, and at Play.
7. Women at Work.
8. Sharing Space: Ages and Stages of Aggression.
9. Forced to Be Family: The Good, the Bad, and the Very Ugly of Female In-Laws.
10. Mrs. Popularity and the Mom Clique.
11. Relational Aggression Where You Least Expect It.
Part Three: Recognize, Revise, and Internalize: Changing the RA Way of Life.
12. Who Are You in the Bee Dynamic?: A Relational Aggression Assessment.
13. Healing Residual Relation Aggression: Overcoming the Past.
14. The Power of Forgiveness.
15. The Won’t Bee.
16. A New Relational You.
17. Don’t Stop with Yourself.
APPENDIX A: Communication That Counts: Connecting through Words.
APPENDIX B: Talking to Yourself in Ways That Help.
APPENDIX C: Netiquette Tips.
APPENDIX D: Mentoring Resources.