DescriptionNow in its 4th Edition, Timothy A. Philpot's Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System continues to help engineering students visualize key mechanics of materials concepts better than any other text available, following a sound problem solving methodology while thoroughly covering all the basics. The fourth edition retains seamless integration with the author’s award-winning MecMovies software. Content has been thoroughly revised throughout the text to provide students with the latest information in the field.
Several new topics have been added to the fourth edition
o8.10 Bending of Curved Bars
o13.9 Generalized Hooke’s Law for Orthotropic Materials
o14.5 Stresses in Thick-Walled Cylinders
o14.6 Deformations in Thick-Walled Cylinders
o14.7 Interference Fits
- Updated chapter content and new examples: Especially in Chapters 8, 9, 13 and 14.
- Extensive changes to the textbook problems. More than 430 new problems have beendeveloped. In 10 of the 17 chapters, more than 60% of the textbook problems are newfor this edition.
WileyPLUS is an online teaching and learning platform that helps you and your students achieve educational success. WileyPLUS gives students opportunities for practice, organizes learning to show connections between assessment and learning content, and tracks progress to help students stay on path for success. Included in this course:
- ORION adaptive practice that helps students build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively. Using WileyPLUS and ORION, students are able to learn complex concepts more efficiently than just reading alone.
- MecMovies instructional software consists of over 160 animations. Most present detailed example problems and about 80 are interactive, providing learners with the opportunity to apply concepts and receive immediate feedback that includes key considerations, calculation details, and intermediate results.
What do students receive with WileyPLUS?
- An E-book version of the print text that features hyperlinks to questions, definitions, and supplements for quick and easy support.
- Immediate feedback and question assistance, including links to relevant sections in the digital textbook.
- Integrated, multimedia resources—including MecMovies, Demonstration Videos, and Problem-solving Videos—that provide multiple study paths and encourage active learning.
- Reading & Concept Check Questions which students can use to test their understanding of topics, or instructors can assign as a Pre-Lecture Quiz.
- NEW Practice Problems which students can use to test themselves and hone problem-solving skills.
What do instructors receive with WileyPLUS?
- Homework management tools, which enable the instructor to easily assign and automatically grade problems.
- QuickStart reading and homework assignments that can be used as-is or customized to fit the needs of your course.
- Media-rich course materials including Instructor Solutions Manual, Art PPT presentations, and Image Gallery.
- Auto-gradable Guided Online (GO) Tutorials and Multistep Problems, which enable students to learn problem-solving strategies step-by-step and pinpoint exactly where they are making mistakes.
- NEW Practice Problem PPTs that work through practice problems for use in lecture by instructors, or can be provided to students for review.
- Focuses On Visual Learning: The illustrations use color, shading, perspective, and dimension to clearly convey concepts while striving to place these concepts in the context of real world components and objects. These illustrations have been prepared by an engineer and educator (the author), to train future engineers.
- Problem-solving schema: The book and web-based features are designed to assist students in organizing and categorizing concepts and problem-solving procedures.
- Style and clarity of examples: This textbook places great emphasis on the presentation and quality of example problems. The author’s commentary explains why various steps are taken and describes the rationale for each step in a solution process while the accompanying illustrations help build the mental imagery needed to transfer the concepts to differingsituations.
- Homework philosophy: This textbook includes over 1,300 homework problems in a range of difficulty.