Part I: texts.
1. How the Media Communicate.
2. Reading Media Images.
Part II: Institutions.
8. Approaches to Media Institutions.
9. Public Service Broadcasting and the Market.
10. Media Professionalism and Codes of Practice.
11. Independent Media..
Part III: Audiences.
12. Conceptualizing and Measuring Media Audiences.
13. The Effects of the Media on Audience Groups.
14. Contexts of Media Consumption.
15. Minority Audiences and the Media.
16. New technologies and Media Audiences.
17. Media Consumption and Social Status.
18. Public Participation in the 1990s.
Epilogue: Research Methods in Media Studies.
* Addresses the subject of audiences, drawing on research in cultural studies.
* Offers guidance on independent research and research methodologies.