DescriptionThere are an astonishing number and variety of roles that metals play in contemporary medicine. This book contains information on the medicinal uses of inorganics, that is, of elements such as boron, lithium, selenium, to name a few, as well as metal-containing species.
In keeping with the notion that healthy mammals rely on (bio-essential) metals for the normal functioning of approximately a third of their proteins and enzymes, a large number of drugs are metal-based and considerable effort is being devoted to developing both second- and third-generation drugs as well as generating novel metal-based drugs. While there is no doubt that there is an emphasis on 'Metallotherapeutics' throughout the volume, the use of metals in medicine is not restricted to metal-based drugs. The following are also covered:
- non-invasive radiopharmaceuticals
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- mineral supplements
1. <sub>3</sub>Li Lithium Metallotherapeutics (Robin S.B. Williams and Adrian J. Harwood).
2. <sub>5</sub>B Boron Compounds as Therapeutic Drugs (Geeta Rana, Kamesh Vyakaranam, John A. Maguire and Narayan S. Hosmane).
3. <sub>12</sub>Mg The Role of Magnesium as a Metallotherapeutic Drug (Pietro Delva).
4. <sub>13</sub>Al Aluminum Metallotherapeutics (Thanos Salifoglou).
5. <sub>14</sub>Si Biological Activity of Organosilicon Compounds (Edmunds Lukevics and Luba Ignatovich).
6. <sub>20</sub>Ca The Role of Calcium as a Metallotherapeutic Drug (Mario Barbagallo and Ligia J. Dominguez).
7. <sub>22</sub>Ti Anti-tumor Titanium Drugs (Erich Dubler).
8. <sub>23</sub>V Insulin-Mimetic Vanadium-Containing Compounds (Tamþs Kiss and Tamþs Jakusch).
9. <sub>25</sub>Mn Manganese Metallotherapeutics (Jeanne H. Freeland-Graves, Tanushree Bose and Abbass Karbassian).
10. <sub>26</sub>Fe The Use of Iron-Based Drugs in Medicine (Xiang Wu and Mei Lin Go).
11. <sub>27</sub>Co Cobalt Complexes as Potential Pharmaceutical Agents (Hui Chao and Liang-Nian Ji).
12. <sub>29</sub>Cu Chemotherapeutic Copper Compounds (Francisco González-Vílchez and Rosario Vilaplana).
13. <sub>30</sub>Zn The Role of Zinc as a Metallotherapeutic Agent (Jane V. Higdon and Emily Ho).
14. <sub>31</sub>Ga Therapeutic Gallium Compounds (Lawrence R. Bernstein).
15. <sub>32</sub>Ge Biological Activity of Organogermanium Compounds (Edmunds Lukevics and Luba Ignatovich).
16. <sub>33</sub>As Metallotherapeutic Arsenic Compounds (Paul C. Ho).
17. <sub>34</sub>Se The Use of Selenium-Based Drugs in Medicine (Michael Carland and Tahli Fenner).
18. <sub>43</sub>Tc Technetium in Medicine (Oyebola O. Sogbein and John F. Valliant).
19. <sub>44</sub>Ru Perspectives of Ruthenium Complexes in Cancer Therapy (Olivier Lentzen, Cécile Moucheron and Andrée Kirsch-De Mesmaeker).
20. <sub>45</sub>Rh Rhodium in Medicine (Florian P. Pruchnik).
21. <sub>46</sub>Pd The Use of Palladium Complexes in Medicine (Achilleas Garoufis, Sotiris K. Hadjikakou and Nick Hadjiliadis).
22. <sub>50</sub>Sn Tin Compounds and Their Therapeutic Potential (Marcel Gielen and Edward R.T. Tiekink).
23. <sub>51</sub>Sb Antimony in Medicine (Siucheong Yan, Lan Jin and Hongzhe Sun).
24. <sub>75</sub>Re Therapeutic Rhenium Radiopharmaceuticals (Jonathan R. Dilworth and Paul S. Donnelly).
25. <sub>78</sub>Pt Platinum-Based Drugs (Viktor Brabec and Jana Kasparkova).
26. <sub>79</sub>Au Gold-Based Metallotherapeutics: Use and Potential (Soo Yei Ho and Edward R.T. Tiekink).
27. <sub>83</sub>Bi Bismuth-Based Pharmaceuticals (Neil Burford and Melanie D. Eelman).
28. Paramagnetic Metal Complexes as Contrast Agents for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Silvio Aime, Alessandro Barge, Eliana Gianolio, Simonetta Geninatti Crich, Walter Dastrù and Fulvio Uggeri).