With meta-analysis methods playing a crucial role in health research in recent years, this important and clearly-written book provides a much-needed survey of the field.
Meta-analysis provides a framework for combining the results of several clinical trials and drawing inferences about the effectiveness of medical treatments. The move towards evidence-based health care and practice is underpinned by the use of meta-analysis. This book:
* Provides a thorough criticism and an up-to-date survey of meta-analysis methods
* Emphasises the practical approach, and illustrates the methods by numerous examples
* Describes the use of Bayesian methods in meta-analysis
* Includes discussion of appropriate software for each analysis
* Includes numerous references to more advanced treatment of specialist topics
* Refers to software code used in the examples available on the authors' Web site
Practising statisticians, statistically-minded clinicians and health research professionals will benefit greatly from the clear presentation and numerous examples. Medical researchers will grasp the basic principles of meta-analysis, and learn how to apply the various methods.
Table of contents
PART A: META-ANALYSIS METHODOLOGY: THE BASICS Introduction: Meta-analysis: Its Development and Uses Defining Outcome Measures used for Combining via Meta-analysis Random Effects Models for Combining Study Estimates Exploring Between Study Heterogeneity Publication Bias Study Quality Sensitivity Analysis Reporting the Results of a Meta-analysis Fixed Effects Methods for Combining Study Estimates PART B: ADVANCED AND SPECIALIZED META-ANALYSIS TOPICS Bayesian Methods in Meta-analysis Meta Regression Meta-analysis of Different Types of Data Incorporating Study Quality into a Meta-analysis Meta-analysis of Multiple and Correlated Outcome Measures Meta-analysis of Epidemiological and other Observational Studies Generalised Synthesis of Evidence -
Combining Different Sources of Evidence Meta-analysis of Survival Data Cumulative Meta-analysis Miscellaneous and Developing Areas of Applications in Meta-Analysis Appendix I: Software Used for the Examples in this Book