· Each chapter includes a Mini-Paper example in which key research papers are summarized, and original data is presented and interpreted. Critical thinking questions called “Questions for Discussion” are offered at the end of each Mini-Paper to help students learn to ask intelligent questions and design and evaluate experiments.
· Connection notes emphasize the interconnectedness of topics, both within a chapter and between chapters.
· Over 125 animations accompany the text, many of which have been developed by Janet Iwasa using 3D animation techniques. Following the unique style of the Chapter Opener illustrations, and developed to support learning objectives in the text, these animations help students visualize and master the toughest topics in Microbiology. The 3D animations are indicated by an icon.
IMAGE IN ACTION
· This active learning feature revisits the chapter opener art and includes several critical thinking questions to help students understand how the art and chapter content are connected.
· Toolbox examples present and explain important techniques and/or experiments.
CHAPTER VIGNETTE WITH ORIGINAL ART
· Every chapter begins with an opening vignette that frames a basic question within the context of both contemporary and historical issues. Each vignette is visually supported by original art created by Janet Iwasa, Harvard Medical School.
· Organizes the chapter by key concepts and directs students to the most important elements (i.e., examples, animations, tables) within the chapter to support each concept.
THE REST OF THE STORY
· This offers a conclusion to the opening vignette and links it more explicitly to the chapter content.
MICROBES IN FOCUS
· Microbes in Focus examples provide a more detailed description of the habitat and key features of specific microbes that are mentioned in the chapter.
· Each section of the chapter ends with 3-5 questions to test students’ understanding of content in that section.
· Each chapter includes selected, numbered Process Diagrams to lend clarity to the flow of complex processes.