Microbiology: Principles and Explorations has been a best-selling textbook for several editions due to the authors engaging writing style where her passion for the subject shines through the narrative. The texts student-friendly approach provides readers with an excellent introduction to the study of Microbiology. This text is appropriate for non-major and mixed major microbiology courses, as well as allied health, agriculture and food sciences courses.
1. Scope and History of Microbiology.
2. Fundamentals of Chemistry.
3. Microscopy and Staining.
4. Characteristics of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells.
5. Essential Concepts of Metabolism.
6. Growth and Culturing of Bacteria.
7. Microbial Genetics.
8. Gene Transfer and Genetic Engineering.
9. An Introduction to Taxonomy: The Bacteria.
11. Eukaryotic Microorganisms and Parasites.
12. Sterilization and Disinfection.
13. Antimicrobial Therapy.
14. Host-Microbe Relationships and Disease Processes.
15. Epidemiology and Nosocomial Infections.
16. Innate Host Defenses.
17. Basic Principles of Adaptive Immunity and Immunization.
18. Immune Disorders.
19. Diseases of the Skin and Eyes; Wounds and Bites.
20. Urogenital and Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
21. Diseases of the Respiratory System.
22. Oral and Gastrointestinal Diseases.
23. Cardiovascular, Lymphatic, and Systemic Diseases.
24. Diseases of the Nervous System.
25. Environmental Microbiology.
26. Applied Microbiology.
• Concept Compass: The 9th edition has updated and improved the chapter opening Concept Compass which provides students with the key concepts and highlights where animations are available in the WileyPLUS course for each concept. Students will be able to easily navigate through the text and identify key sections which require review and practice, and where to find the related study tools.
• Chapter Opener Vignettes amplify the author’s unique ability to take the reader on a microbiology journey. These two page chapter openers engage students into the chapter by drawing a connection to hot issues in the field, applications and factoids of high interest.
• Content has been updated throughout the narrative of the text. This updating also includes some of the artwork and micrographs presented throughout the text.
With an accurate and informative art program, the text includes artwork produced by award winning medical illustrators and photographs that have been personally researched and identified by the author. This title is written by a microbiologist, who teaches microbiology on a consistent basis in addition to her responsibilities in the scientific community. Supportive pedagogical aids also help foster a student’s understanding of the subject matter and its applications.
WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS is packed with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–to give your students more value for their money. With WileyPLUS, students will have an extensive use of applications to relate to throughout the narrative of every chapter that helps them comprehend key principles. Examples include “pimples that can lead to septicemia if squeezed” and “involuntary drunkenness caused by yeast fermenting in stomach food”. Informal, student-centered writing style serves more as a narrative for students exploring microbiology than as a textbook that reads as a list of facts.
WileyPLUS is now equipped with an adaptive learning module called ORION. Based on cognitive science, WileyPLUS with ORION, provides students with a personal, adaptive learning experience so they can build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively. WileyPLUS with ORION helps students learn by learning about them.