List of Abbreviations.
1. Understanding the ‘Problem Minorities.
6. Beyond the ‘Problem of Minorities’?.
Appendix A: Declaration on the Rights of Persons Belonging.
to National or Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Minorities.
Appendix B: Selected Documents.
Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism
"This is an important book. At a time when western societies are becoming increasingly polarised between those who urge the virtues of milticulturalism and those who fear that our values are being undermined and our security threatened by the presence of minorities, we badly need a careful and clear-headed appraisal of minority rights and the dilemmas that they pose. Jennifer Jackson Preece is to be congratulated on providing us with just such an account."
James Mayall, University of Cambridge
- Offer a concise introduction to this controversial and growing area of study and debate.
- Explores the ways in which minorities are constructed through religion, race, language and ethnicity.
- Draws on a range of contemporary examples from across the world.
- Brings a uniquely rich and varied experience to bear on contemporary debates about how minorities may be accommodated in modern politics.