Preface to Second Edition.
Preface to Third Edition.
Preface to Fourth Edition.
Units, Dimensions and Conventions.
Useful Conversion Factors.
1. Some Important Results in Quantum Mechanics.
2. Electromagnetic Radiation and Its Interaction with Atoms and Molecules.
3. General Features of Experimental Methods.
4. Molecular Symmetry.
5. Rotational Spectroscopy.
6. Vibrational Spectroscopy.
7. Electronic Spectroscopy.
8. Photoelectron and Related Spectroscopies.
9. Lasers and Laser Spectroscopy.
Appendix A: Character Tables.
Appendix B: Symmetry Species of Vibrations.
Index of Atoms and Molecules.
"…a good reference for those interested in basic theories behind general spectroscopic techniques. I welcome its presence in my professional library." (Clinical Chemistry, December 2004)
"…this text is well written and the descriptions relating theory to phenomena are clear and well constructed. The book achieves its goal as a well-rounded textbook." (Applied Spectroscopy, August 2004)
- Introduces the reader to a wide range of spectroscopies and includes both the background theory and applications to structure determination and chemical analysis
- A revised and updated edition of a successful, clearly written book
- Includes the latest developments including femtosecond lasers and wave packet spectroscopy
- Contains more questions at the end of some chapters
- Page format has been redesigned