List of Contributors.
Introduction: subjectivity and modernity's Other: Scott Lash and Jonathan Friedman.
Part I: Cosmopolitan Narratives:.
1. Why modernism still matters: Marshall Berman.
2. Cosmopolitan without emancipation: a response to Lyotard: Richard Rorty.
3. Modernity as postmodernity: Jean-Françoise Lyotard: Christina Bürger.
4. The disappearance of meaning: essay at a postmodern reading of Michel Ournier, Botho Strauss and Peter Handke: Peter Bürger.
Part II: Representation and the Transformation of Identity:.
5. Popular Representation: recasting realism: Nicholas Abercrombie, Scott Lash and Brian Longhurst.
6. Popular culture and the construction of postmodern identities: Douglas Kellner.
7. Scopic regimes of modernity: Martin Jay.
8. Identity and reality: the end of the philosophical immigration officer: Dieter Hoffmann-Axthelm.
Part III: Spaces of Self and Society:.
9. Postmodern urban landscapes: mapping culture and power: Sharon Zukin.
10. A modern tour in Brazil.
11. Postmodernism and the aestheticization of everyday life: Mike Featherstone.
Part IV: Modernity and the Voice of the Other:.
12. We, the people: popular culture and popular identity in modern Europe: Peter Burke.
13. Past, present and emergent identities: requirements for ethnographies of late twentieth-centuries modernity worldwide: George Marcus.
14. Narcissism, roots and postmodernity: the constitution of selfhood in the global crisis: Jonathan Friedman.