DescriptionMulticultural Education: Issues and Perspectives is designed to help current and future educators acquire the concepts, paradigms, and explanations needed to become more effective practitioners in culturally, racially, and linguistically diverse classrooms and schools. The Eighth Edition has been revised to reflect new research and data regarding the decreasing non-Hispanic White population in the U.S. Two new sections to the Multicultural Resources include "Special Education and Equity," and "Gifted Education and Equity." The Multicultural Resources in the Appendix have also been revised and updated and the Glossary has been revised to incorporate 2010 census data and new developments in the field.
Part I Issues and Concepts
Chapter 1: Multicultural Education: Characteristics and Goals
James A. Banks
Chapter 2: Culture, Teaching, and Learning
Christina Convertino, Bradley A. Levinson, and Norma González
Chapter 3: Race, Class, Gender, and Disability in the Classroom
Carl A. Grant and Christine E. Sleeter
Part II Social Class and Religion
Chapter 4: Social Class and Education
Chapter 5: Christian Nation or Pluralistic Culture: Religion in American Life
Charles H. Lippy
Part III Gender
Chapter 6: Gender Bias: From Colonial America to Today's Classrooms
David Sadker and Karen Zittleman
Chapter 7: Classrooms for Diversity: Rethinking Curriculum and Pedagogy
Mary Kay Thompson Tetreault
Chapter 8: Understanding and Supporting Gender Equity in Schools
Chapter 9: Queer Lessons: Multiculturalism and Sexual and Gender Minorities in Multicultural Education
Part IV Race, Ethnicity, and Language
Chapter 10: Approaches to Multicultural Curriculum Reform
James A. Banks
Chapter 11: Backstage Racism: Implications for Teaching
Leslie H. Picca and Ruth Thompson-Miller
Chapter 12: Language Diversity and Schooling
Tom T. Stritikus and Manka M. Varghese
Part V Exceptionality
Chapter 13: Educational Equality for Students with Disabilities
Sara C. Bicard and William L. Heward
Chapter 14: School Inclusion and Multicultural Issues in Special Education
Luanna H. Meyer, Jill M. Bevan-Brown, Hyun-Sook Park and Catherine Savage
Chapter 15: Recruiting and Retaining Gifted Students from Different Ethnic, Cultural, and Language Groups
Donna Y. Ford
Part VI School Reform
Chapter 16: School Reform and Student Learning: A Multicultural Perspective
Sonia Nieto and Patty Bode
Chapter 17: Families and Teachers Working Together for School Improvement
Cherry A. McGee Banks
- Chapters 2, 4, 8, and 11 are new to this eighth edition.
- All of the chapters from the previous edition have been revised to reflect new research, theories, census data, statistics, interpretations, and developments.
- The Multicultural Resources in the Appendix have been substantially revised and updated.
- Two new sections added to the Multicultural Resources, “Special Education and Equity,” and “Gifted Education and Equity.”
- The Glossary has been revised to incorporate 2010 census data and new developments in the field.
- Leading authors in the field offer their perspectives on Multicultural Education.
- Edited reader providing the most up-to-date research in the field.