1. Nationalism in Classical Social Theory.
2. The Political Character of Nationalism.
3. National Identity.
4. Nationalism, Racism and Fascism.
5. Nations without a State.
6. States without a Nation.
7. Globalization, Modernity and National Identity.
"Valuable insights." Journal of International Affairs
"A series of useful discussions on the politics of nationalism, national identity, the relation between nation and state, and the impact of globalization on national identity. There is much that is commendable in this work [and] there is much to be learnt from her theoretical overview." Democratization
"Montserrat Guibernau's book will be immensely useful to teachers and students." Patterns of Prejudice
* Incorporates a systematic discussion of major themes of nationalism.
* Focuses upon a neglected issue: the issue of "nations without states which exist without a formal territory of appenditure of government".