DescriptionLearn about the revolutionary new technology of negative-refraction metamaterials
Negative-Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications introduces artificial materials that support the unusual electromagnetic property of negative refraction. Readers will discover several classes of negative-refraction materials along with their exciting, groundbreaking applications, such as lenses and antennas, imaging with super-resolution, microwave devices, dispersion-compensating interconnects, radar, and defense.
The book begins with a chapter describing the fundamentals of isotropic metamaterials in which a negative index of refraction is defined. In the following chapters, the text builds on the fundamentals by describing a range of useful microwave devices and antennas. Next, a broad spectrum of exciting new research and emerging applications is examined, including:
* Theory and experiments behind a super-resolving, negative-refractive-index transmission-line lens
* 3-D transmission-line metamaterials with a negative refractive index
* Numerical simulation studies of negative refraction of Gaussian beams and associated focusing phenomena
* Unique advantages and theory of shaped lenses made of negative-refractive-index metamaterials
* A new type of transmission-line metamaterial that is anisotropic and supports the formation of sharp steerable beams (resonance cones)
* Implementations of negative-refraction metamaterials at optical frequencies
* Unusual propagation phenomena in metallic waveguides partially filled with negative-refractive-index metamaterials
* Metamaterials in which the refractive index and the underlying group velocity are both negative
This work brings together the best minds in this cutting-edge field. It is fascinating reading for scientists, engineers, and graduate-level students in physics, chemistry, materials science, photonics, and electrical engineering.
1. Negative-Refractive-Index Transmission-Line Metamaterials (A. Iyer & G. Eleftheriades).
2. Passive Microwave Devices and Antennas Using Negative-Refractive-Index Transmission-Line Metamaterials (G. Eleftheriades).
3. Super Resolving Negative-Refractive-Index Transmission-Line Lenses (A. Grbic & G. Eleftheriades).
4. Gaussian Beam Interactions with DNG Metamaterials (R. Ziolkowski).
5. Negative Index Lenses (D. Schurig & D. Smith).
6. Planar Anisotropic Resonance-Cone Metamaterials (K. balmain & A. Lüttgen).
7. Negative Refraction and Subwavelength Imaging in Photonic Crystals (C. Luo & J. Joannopoulos).
8. Plasmonic Nanowire Metamaterials (A. Sarychev & V. Shalaev).
9. An Overview of Salient Properties of Planar Guided-Wave Structures with Double-Negative (DNG) and Single-Negative (SNG) Layers (A Alù and N. Engheta).
10. Dispersion Engineering: The Use of Abnormal Velocities and Negative Index of Refraction to Control the Dispersive Effects (M. Mojahedi & G. Eleftheriades).