Nutrition: Science and Applications, 4th Edition
DescriptionNutrition: Science and Applications, 4th Edition helps students develop the scientific understanding to support their personal and professional decisions. Using a critical thinking approach, Smolin brings nutrition out of the classroom and allows students to apply the logic of science to their own nutrition concerns – both as consumers and as future scientists and health professionals.
• Updated Dietary Standards. Completely updated and revised to reflect the updated Dietary Standards released by the FDA in Fall 2015.
• Now Featuring WileyPLUS Learning Space! WileyPLUS Learning Space is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS Learning Space is packed with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–to give your students more value for their money. www.wileypluslearningspace.com
• A number of new digital activities found in WileyPLUS Learning Space. a number of new drag-n-drop interactivities focused on food sources and qualities for the macro- and micronutrient chapters, as well as 8 calculating “working it out” activities that allow students to create unique meals and calculate the amount of calories and percent of calories for each of the macronutrients.
• Updated Video Resources. 12 Nutrition Bites videos that explain tough concepts and relate chapter topics to everyday life, as well as 5 new videos focusing on the most current, relevant topics in nutrition.
• Mobile media assets are now accessible on tablets and smartphones, including How It Works Animations, Interactive Process Diagrams, What’s On My Plate? animations, and iProfile, Dietary Assessment Program.
- Develop Scientific Understanding. Nutrition: Science and Applications, 4th Edition equips students with the resources they need to understand challenging concepts.
- Metabolism. This concept is presented via an integrated approach, making it more accessible to students. We integrate metabolism because we believe that it is more effective to cover metabolism when it appears germane to the topic. Metabolism is introduced in Chapter 3: Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism. It is then carried out through the rest of the book. By incorporating both metabolism, and health and disease information throughout the text, students can see that a nutrient's function in metabolism is related to its role in health and disease.
- Metabolism Icons. These icons are integrated throughout the text. They allow for easy identification of where metabolism information has been integrated into each chapter.