SECTION I: NUTRITION AND AGEING.
1. The Challenge of Stroke.
2. Ageing Changes Relevant to Nutrition in Elderly People.
3. Macro- and Micronutrients in Elderly People.
4. Diagnosing Protein-Energy Undernutrition (PEU) in Elderly People.
SECTION II: NUTRITIONAL FACTORS AND RISK OF STROKE.
5. The Role of Dietary and Nutritional Factors in Stroke Prevention.
6. Antioxidants and Risk of Ischaemic Stroke.
7. Homocysteine and Stroke.
8. Endothelial Dysfunction in Stroke Disease: Potential Role of dietary factors.
SECTION III: NUTRITION FACTORS FOLLOWING STROKE.
9. Cerebral Ischaemia, Reperfusion and Oxidative Damage in Ischaemic Stroke.
10. Protein-Energy Undernutrition After Stroke.
11. Nutritional Status of Special Stroke Groups: Patients with Urinary Incontinence and Swallowing Difficulties.
12. Undernutrition After Acute Stroke: When Does It Matter?.
13. Nutritional Support of Elderly Stroke Patients.
14. Nutritional Status in the Community.
15. Future Directions and Recommendations.
* Covers nutritional influence on incidence of stroke
* Discusses nutritional treatment of stroke victims
* Asks whether it would be beneficial to alter current public health messages on prevention and management of stroke based on new research