DescriptionType 2 diabetes, associated with obesity, is today the most common form of diabetes. It is also associated with a number of other cardiovascular risk factors which constitute the metabolic syndrome. Effective management of ‘diabesity’ is crucial to the reduction of morbidity and premature morbidity due to cardiovascular disease.
Part of the successful ‘Diabetes in Practice’ series, Obesity and Diabetes Second Edition focuses on the link between diabetes and obesity, two of the most pressing health problems in the developed world. It covers topics ranging from the changing epidemiology of type 2 diabetes to an analysis of the principal causes of the metabolic syndrome.
- Includes new chapters on obesity management in ethnic minorities and obesity issues in the workplace
- Features many suggestions of practical value
- Describes a contemporary approach to the clinical assessment of obesity and its management in both primary and secondary care settings
- Covers emerging problems such as childhood “diabesity” and the impact of obesity on polycystic ovary syndrome
- All chapters have been updated
Obesity and Diabetes Second Edition addresses the management of obesity and diabetes in practical terms useful to clinicians with an interest in diabetes, both in primary and secondary care, general practitioners, paediatricians, endocrinologists and nutritionists, as well as to students and researchers interested in obesity.
2. The genetics of human obesity
3. Lifestyle determinants of obesity
4. Pathogenesis of obesity related Type 2 diabetes
5. Obesity and prevention of Type 2 diabetes
6. Diet and food-based therapies for obesity in diabetic patients
7. Behavioural modifications in the treatment of obesity
8. Physical activity, obesity and Type 2 diabetes
9. Diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease - therapeutic implications
10. Drug therapy for the obese diabetic patient
11. The role of bariatric surgery in the management of Type 2 diabetes
12. Childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes
13. Obesity and polycystic ovary syndrome
14. Management of diabetes in primary care: a multi disciplinary approach
15. Management of obesity and the workplace issues
16. Obesity in different ethnic groups