Organic Chemistry, 2nd Edition
Organic Chemistry, 2nd Edition
Product not available for purchase
DescriptionIn Organic Chemistry, 2nd Edition, Dr. David Klein builds on his unique skills-based approach, including all of the concepts typically covered in an organic chemistry textbook, but placing special emphasis on skills development to support these concepts. This emphasis upon skills development provides two-semester Organic Chemistry students with a greater opportunity to develop proficiency in the key skills necessary to succeed in organic chemistry.
1 A Review of General Chemistry: Electrons, Bonds, and Molecular Properties
2 Molecular Representations
3 Acids and Bases
4 Alkanes and Cycloalkanes
6 Chemical Reactivity and Mechanisms
7 Substitution Reactions
8 Alkenes: Structure and Preparation via Elimination Reactions
9 Addition Reactions of Alkenes
11 Radical Reactions
13 Alcohols and Phenols
14 Ethers and Epoxides; Thiols and Sulfides
15 Infrared Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry
16 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
17 Conjugated Pi Systems and Pericyclic Reactions
18 Aromatic Compounds
19 Aromatic Substitution Reactions
20 Aldehydes and Ketones
21 Carboxylic Acids and Their Derivatives
22 Alpha Carbon Chemistry: Enols and Enolates
25 Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins
27 Synthetic Polymers
- WileyPLUS is now equipped with an adaptive learning module called ORION. Based on cognitive science, WileyPLUS with ORION, provides students with a personal, adaptive learning experience so they can build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively. WileyPLUS with ORION helps students learn by learning about them.
- Over 230 new Literature-Based Challenge problems:
- Problems are based on the chemical literature (real-world laboratory reference provided for each one) and designed to be thought-provoking puzzles that are challenging, but possible to solve with the principles and skills developed in the textbook.
- Each chapter has 8-10 literature-based challenge problems and integrated problems
- 10% NEW Medically Speaking& Practically Speaking applications and NEW table of pKa values
- NEW appendix containing rules for naming compounds with more than one functional group
- Rewritten for clarity: Chapter 7: Substitution Reactions/Section 7.5: The SN1 Mechanism, Chapter 20: Aldehydes and Ketones/Section 20.7 :Mechanism Strategies, Chapter 20: Aldehydes and Ketones/Section 20.10: Carbon Nucleophiles
- WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS is packed with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–giving your students more value for their money. With WileyPLUS, students are provided with unique study strategies, tools, and support based on learning styles for success in Organic Chemistry. WileyPLUS hallmarks, such as Reaction Explorer, remain alongside brand-new course updates.
- SkillBuilder Approach illustrated by the SKILLBUILDER Examples. David Klein's skills-based approach helps students succeed by providing step-by-step, problem-solving guidance that facilitates conceptual understanding of the core concepts in Organic Chemistry. Special emphasis is placed on drawing resonance structures, predicting products, proposing mechanisms, proposing syntheses, and drawing mechanisms. SkillBuilders are broken into 3 parts:
- Learn the Skill
- Practice the Skill
- Apply the Skill
- Conceptual Checkpoints exercises appear after many sections to give students practice of the recently presented concepts.
- Approximately 100 Medically Speaking & Practically Speaking application boxes demonstrate relevancy of organic chemistry to medicine, current research, and the world around us.
- Chapter Openers contain a “Did You Ever Wonder” question that serve to capture the students’ interest. These questions are answered within that chapter.