A: Introduction: Selectivity.
1. Planning Organic Syntheses: Tactics, Strategy, and Control.
3. Regioselectivity: Controlled Aldol Reactions.
4. Stereoselectivity: Stereoselective Aldol Reactions.
5. Alternative Strategies for Enone Synthesis.
6. Choosing a Strategy : The Synthesis of cyclopentenones.
B: Making Carbon-Carbon Bonds.
7. The Ortho Strategy for Aromatic Compounds.
8. δ-Complexes of Metals.
9. Controlling the Michael Reaction.
10. Specific Enol Equivalents.
11. Extended Enolates.
12. Allyl Anions.
14. Acyl Anion Equivalents.
C: Carbon-Carbon Double Bonds.
15. Synthesis of Double Bonds of Defined Stereochemistry.
16. Stereo-Controlled Vinyl Anion Equivalents.
17. Electrophilic Attack on Alkenes.
18. Vinyl Cations: Palladium-Catalysed C–C Coupling.
19. Allyl Alcohols: Allyl Cation Equivalents (and More).
20. Control of Stereochemistry — Introduction.
21 Controlling Relative Stereochemistry.
23. The Chiral Pool.
24. Asymmetric Induction I: Reagent-Based Strategy.
25. Asymmetric Induction II: Asymmetric Catalysis: Formation of C-O and C-N Bonds.
26. Asymmetric Induction III: Asymmetric Catalysis: Formation of C-H and C-C Bonds.
27. Asymmetric Induction IV: Substrate-Based Strategy.
28. Kinetic Resolution.
29. Enzymes: Biological Methods in Asymmetric Synthesis.
30. New Chiral Centres from Old — Enantiomerically Pure Compounds & Sophisticated Syntheses.
31. Strategy of Asymmetric Synthesis.
E: Functional Group Strategy.
32. Functionalisation of Pyridine.
33. Oxidation of Aromatic Compounds, Enols and Enolates.
34. Functionality and Pericyclic Reactions: Nitrogen Heterocycles by Cycloadditions and Sigmatropic Rearrangements.
35. Synthesis and Chemistry of Azoles and other Heterocycles with Two or more Heteroatoms.
36. Tandem Organic Reactions.
- A comprehensive, practical account of the key concepts involved in synthesising compounds
- Takes a mechanistic approach, which explains reactions and gives guidelines on how reactions might behave in different situations
- Focuses on reactions that really work rather than those with limited application
- Contains extensive, up-to-date references in each chapter
- Accompanied by a workbook with extensive problems and solutions for each chapter of the textbook