List of Illustrations.
In Paradisum Amissam Summi Poetæ (S[amuel] B[arrow] M. D.).
On Paradise Lost (A[ndrew] M[arvell]).
Appendix: Sketches for Dramas on the Fall, from the Trinity Manuscript.
"[The book] prints its notes on the same page as the text - and thus makes them easily accessible. Its readable typeface makes it the best of the old-spelling editions currently available. It scrupulously adheres to the originally published forms of the language wherever possible." (Times Literary Supplement, December 2008)
- The first of three paperback volumes presenting authoritative texts of the complete poetry and major prose of John Milton
- Edited by one of the world's leading Milton scholars, the author of the acclaimed The Life of Milton (Blackwell 2000), which won the Milton Society of America's James Holly Hanford Book Award
- Offers readers the opportunity to experience the brilliance and beauty of Paradise Lost as it was experienced by his contemporaries
- Presents Paradise Lost in its original 1674 form
- Incorporates accidentals (spelling and punctuation) from the 1674 edition
- Recovers Miltonic rhythms, pronunciations, and sound qualities often lost in modern editions
- Annotates names, places, biblical and literary allusions, and unfamiliar words
- Includes illustrations by John Baptista Medina from the 1688 Folio edition