Jennifer R. Keup
1. The Benefits of Peer Leader Programs: An Overview from the Literature 5
Jaime L. Shook, Jennifer R. Keup
This chapter provides a review of the literature on peer leadership with specific emphasis on the benefits of these programs to the students being served, to those who engage as peer leaders, and to the institution.
2. Where It All Began: Peer Education and Leadership in Student Services 17
Stephanie R. Ganser, Tricia L. Kennedy
The role of peer leaders in student services has evolved over time; today, student leaders play a critical role in this aspect of the college experience, particularly in orientation and residence life.
3. Providing Academic Support Through Peer Education 31
Jennifer A. Latino, Catherine M. Unite
Peer educators play a variety of roles in the academic support of other students and have significant positive effects on student learners.
4. Peer Leadership in the Cocurriculum: Turning Campus Activities into an Educationally Purposeful Enterprise 45
Brian M. Wooten, Joshua S. Hunt, Brian F. LeDuc, Phillip Poskus
Over the past several decades, campus activities have been transformed into intentional learning opportunities with peer leaders playing a significant role in enhancing the student experience in these settings.
5. Integrating Technology into Peer Leader Responsibilities 59
Melissa L. Johnson
This chapter focuses on the emerging role of technology as part of peer leader positions on college campuses and describes how peer leaders can apply technological skills to their formal and informal job responsibilities.
6. Peers in Doctoral Education: Unrecognized Learning Partners 73
Emma M. Flores-Scott, Maresi Nerad
This chapter explores the unique, often horizontal, peer education dynamics found in doctoral education, which are far less understood than the role of undergraduate peer educators.
7. The Architecture of a High-Impact and Sustainable Peer Leader Program: A Blueprint for Success 85
Pat Esplin, Jenna Seabold, Fred Pinnegar
Building and sustaining a high-impact peer leader program requires intentional and deliberate design from the ground up, as well as attention to the details of training and supervision.