About the Author
John Sainty worked in the House of Lords, 1959–1970, 1974–1990, retiring as clerk of the parliaments. From 1970 to 1974 he worked at the Institute of Historical Research, University of London, compiling several volumes on the personnel of government departments, 1660–1870. He has published widely on the House of Lords and its personnel. He has also served as a commissioner on the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, 1991–2003, and is a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, Royal Historical Society, and the Institute of Historical Research.