The defect concept: Point defects as the main actors.
2. Bonding aspects: From atoms to solid state.
Chemical bonding in simple molecules.
Many atoms in contact: The solid state as a giant molecule.
Einstein and Debye models.
4. Equilibrium thermodynamics of the perfect solid.
The formalism of equilibrium thermodynamics.
Examples of equilibrium thermodynamics.
5. Equilibrium thermodynamics of the real solid.
Equilibrium thermodynamics of point defect formation.
Equilibrium thermodynamics of electronic defects.
Higher dimensional defects.
Point defect reactions.
Interactions between defects.
Boundary layers and size effects.
6. Kinetics and irreversible thermodynamics.
Transport and reaction.
Phenomenological diffusion coefficients.
Diffusion kinetics of stoichiometry change.
Complications of matter transport.
Solid state reactions.
7. Solid state electrochemistry: Measurement techniques and applications.
Preliminary remarks: Current and voltage in the light of defect chemistry.
Open circuit cells.
Cells under current load.
Cells generating current.