Physics 11E provides students with the skills that they need to succeed in this course, by focusing on conceptual understanding; problem solving; and providing real-world applications and relevance. Conceptual Examples, Concepts and Calculations problems, and Check Your Understanding questions help students to understand physics principles. Math Skills boxes, multi-concept problems, and Examples with reasoning steps help students to improve their reasoning skills while solving problems. “The Physics Of” boxes show students how physics principles are relevant to their everyday lives.
Available/sold separately, WileyPLUS to accompany Physics 11E continues to build on rich multimedia enhancements that encourage student engagement. ORION, the adaptive study guide, diagnoses student’s strengths and weaknesses, leading them to the specific content and media needed to help them effectively learn. All ORION practice problems have hints and feedback. The course includes 259 short lecture videos, one for each course section, that explain the basic concepts and learning objectives. In addition, 150 Chalkboard problem-solving videos and guided online tutorials along with vector drawing questions enrich WileyPLUS. These features are designed to facilitate flipping the classroom, and to encourage students to remain within the WileyPLUS environment, as opposed to pursuing the “pay-for-solutions” websites and searching uncurated web content that short circuits and can confuse their learning process.
1. Introduction and Mathematical Concepts
2. Kinematics in One Dimension
3. Kinematics in Two Dimensions
4. Forces and Newton’s Laws of Motion
5. Dynamics of Uniform Circular Motion
6. Work and Energy
7. Impulse and Momentum
8. Rotational Kinematics
9. Rotational Dynamics
10. Simple Harmonic Motion and Elasticity
12. Temperature and Heat
13. The Transfer of Heat
14. The Ideal Gas Law and Kinetic Theory
16. Waves and Sound
17. The Principle of Linear Superposition and Interference Phenomena
18. Electric Forces and Electric Fields
19. Electric Potential Energy and the Electric Potential
20. Electric Circuits
21. Magnetic Forces and Magnetic Fields
22. Electromagnetic Induction
23. Alternating Current Circuits
24. Electromagnetic Waves
25. The Reflection of Light: Mirrors
26. The Refraction of Light: Lenses and Optical Instruments
27. Interference and the Wave Nature of Light
28. Special Relativity
29. Particles and Waves
30. The Nature of the Atom
31. Nuclear Physics and Radioactivity
32. Ionizing Radiation, Nuclear Energy, and Elementary Particles
- Lecture Videos: 259 short section lecture video animations introduce each online course section by explaining the basic concepts and learning objectives. Most also include embedded questions for student engagement. Faculty will find these videos and questions ideal for pre-lecture assignment material for those who are flipping the classroom.
- Group Problems: Group problems added to each section are useful for in-class group activities.
- Biological Application Examples: Included “The Physics of …” bio-inspired examples are similar to what premed students will encounter in the “Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems” passages section of the MCAT.
- Lecture Videos: 259 short section lecture video animations present all concepts and learning objectives throughout each section in the course.
- Chalkboard Videos: Short videos demonstrate practical problem-solving strategies step-by-step.
- Math Help Videos
- Physics Demonstration Videos with Assessment Questions
- Physics Concept Simulations: 1 to 7 videos are included per course section with related assessment questions.
- Problem-Solving Help Videos
- MCAT Practice Questions: Updated for the new MCAT exam style. 1 Practice Test per course section.