1. Dedication: Kenneth J. Frey: Oat Breeder, Educator, and Champion of Plant Breeding (Ann Marie Thro and Larry Robertson).
II. Early Life and Career Beginnings.
IV. Graduate Educator.
V. Champion of Plant Breeding: The National Plant Breeding Study.
VI. The Man.
VII. Awards and Honors.
Selected Publications of Kenneth J. Frey.
2. Strategies for Enhancing Grain Yield in Maize (M. Tollenaar and E. A. Lee).
I. A Historical Perspective.
II. Opportunities for Future Yield Improvement.
III. Plant Density.
IV. Improvement in Resource-Use Efficiency.
3. Quality Protein Maize: Progress and Prospects (G. N. Atlin, N. Palacios, R. Babu, B. Das, S. Twumasi-Afriyie, D. K. Friesen, H. De Groote, B. Vivek, and K. V. Pixley).
II. Quality Protein Maize: A Complex Genetic and Biochemical System.
III. Human Nutritional Benefits of QPM.
IV. QPM a s Livestock Feed.
V. Progress in the Development of QPM Hybrids and Synthetics.
VI. Release and Adoption of QPM Cultivars.
4. Vegetative Phase Change in Maize: Biotic Resistance and Agronomic Performance (M. A. Chandler, E. S. Riedeman, and W. F. Tracy).
II. Vegetative Phase Change and Biotic Resistance in Maize.
III. Vegetative Phase Change and Agronomic Performance in Maize.
IV. Vegetative Phase Change and Pest Resistance on Other Plant Species.
V. Summary and Conclusions.
5. Plant Interspecific Hybridization: Outcomes and Issues at the Intersection of Species (Ed R. Morgan, Gail M. Timmerman-Vaughan, Anthony J. Conner, William B. Griffin, and Richard Pickering).
II. Species and Hybrids.
III. Protocols for Hybridization.
IV. Outcomes of Hybridization.
V. Genomic and Gene Expression Consequences of Interspecific Hybridization.
VI. Verification of Hybrids.
VII. Estimating Donor Parental DNA Content in Progeny From Hybrids.
6. DNA-Based Identification of Clonally Propagated Cultivars (Hilde Nybom and Kurt Weising).
II. Molecular Methods.
III. Choice of Method.
V. Conclusions and Future Outlooks.
7. Designing Marker-Assisted Inbred Line Development Strategies Using Computer Simulation (Guoyou Ye and M. van Ginkel).
II. Requirements for Modeling Breeding Program.
III. Recent Development in Genetic Mapping.
IV. investigating the Effectiveness of MAS Strategies.
V. Examples to Demonstrate the Design of MAS Strategies.
Cumulative Subject Index.
Cumulative Contributor Index.