DescriptionDeveloped out of the author's own substantial teaching experience, this introduction to political geography approaches its subject matter from the standpoint of political economy and the politics of difference.
2. The Political Economy of the Contemporary World: Fundamental Considerations.
3. The Political Geography of Capitalist Development I: The Workplace.
4. The Political Geography of Capitalist Development II: The Living Place.
5. Difference, Identity and Political Geography.
6. Political Geographies of Imagined Communities: The Nation.
7. A World of Difference.
8. The State in Geographic Context.
9 the Politics of Geographically Uneven Development.
10. The Politics of Globalization and Its Illusions.
""This is a very interesting, thorough and readable treatment of the political-economic formation of the contemporary world. Cox integrates contemporary theoretical and political concerns centered on difference and identity into a political-economy framework for understanding capitalism, the state, and territoriality. Addressing processes at a variety of geographic scales, and providing numerous empirical examples, Cox fascinatingly integrates and de-mystifies material that is frequently, but artificially, treated separately."" Byron Miller, Director of the Urban Studies Programme, University of Calgary
""Many aspects of the text make it worth considering for undergraduate or graduate courses, especially the excellent case studies and the inclusion of race and gender issues"" Douglas Reardon, Coppin State College.
""Cox has written a carefully structured publication for students and lecturers with an interset in political geography. A wealth of historical and political science knowledge is offered."" South African Geographical Journal
- Introduces students to the field of political geography
- Takes a distinctive political economic approach
- Incorporates critical approaches to human geography such as the 'cultural turn' and recent work on the theory of the state
- Packed with interesting and relevant examples