Part I: Mainstream Theories and Practices: .
1. The Postwar Tradition in Theory.
2. Strategies of Growth and Industrialization.
3. The Asian Newly Industrialized Countries.
4. The South (1): Neoliberal Policy and Strategy.
5. The South (2): The Neglect of Politics and People.
Part II: Alternative Theories and Practices:.
6. Refocusing on Needs.
7. New Concepts of Planning.
8. Participation and Power.
9. Women and Gender.
10. Environment and Sustainability.
11. Popular Development.
- A comprehensive and critical account of development theory and practice.
- Covers Latin America, Africa and South-East Asia.
- Has separate chapters on women and gender, power and politics, environment and sustainability.