1. The Dream of Purity.
2. Making and Unmaking of Strangers.
3. The Strangers of the Consumer Era: from the Welfare State to Prison.
4. Morality Begins at Home: or the Rocky Road to Justice.
5. Parvenu and Pariah - the Heroes and Victims of Modernity.
6. Tourists and Vagabonds - the Heroes and Victims of Postmodernity.
7. Postmodern Art, or the Impossibility of the Avant-garde.
8. On the Meaning of Art and the Art of Meaning.
9. Culture as Consumer Co-operative.
10. On the Postmodern Deployment of Sex: Foucault's History of Sexuality Revisited.
11. Immortality, Postmodern Version.
12. Postmodern Religion?.
13. On Communitarianism and Human Freedom, or How to Square the Circle.
Afterword: The Last word - and it Belongs to Freedom.
"This book has important things to say ... interesting and thought-provoking." The Times Higher Education Supplement
"Humane, impassioned essays." The Times Literary Supplement
* Develops Bauman's distinctive view of postmodernity.
* Discusses major political debates, including that about communitarianism.