Power Performance: Multimedia Storytelling for Journalism and Public Relations
DescriptionThis book is a unique and definitive guide to the skills necessary for on-camera journalism and offers an invaluable behind-the-scenes look at the profession.
- Tailors the traditional skills of writing, reporting, and producing to the needs of journalists working in front of the camera
- Includes chapters devoted to the role of the storyteller, reporting the story across multiple platforms, and presenting the story on-camera
- Incorporates profiles of leading multimedia journalists and public relations practitioners
- Addresses the key ethical issues for the profession
- Offers practical advice for putting presentation skills to work
- Storytelling skills covered can be applied to a variety of traditional and new media formats including television news, radio, and podcasts
Foreword by Lester Holt, NBC News/MSNBC.
1 The Role of the Storyteller.
Profile: Brian Williams, NBC News.
Resource: IJPC.org, The Image of the Journalist in Popular Culture.
2 Reporting Stories across Media.
Profile: Linda Hurtado, WFTS-TV.
Profile: Casey Cora, http://oakpark.patch.com.
3 Writing the Story for Print and the Web.
Profile: J.R. Raphael, Contributing Editor, PC World.
Profile: Eric Deggans, St. Petersburg Times and tampabay.com.
4 Video Storytelling on the Air and on the Web.
Profile: Joe Little, KGTV-TV San Diego.
Profile: Jessica Yellin, TV Reporter, CNN.
5 Presenting the Story on Camera, on Air, and Online.
Profile: Poppy Harlow, CNNMoney.com.
Profile: Owen J. Michael, KABC-TV.
6 Practicing Public Relations in a Multimedia World.
Profile: James Lee, Lee Strategy Group.
Profile: Ann Kellan, Intermedia Marketing & Production, Atlanta.
7 Ethical Journalism in Multicultural Media.
Profile: Corey Flintoff, National Public Radio, www.npr.org.
Profile: Frenita Buddy, Hope Channel.
8 Putting Your Skills to Work.
Profile: Kris Van Cleave, WJLA-TV.
Profile: Lila King, Senior Producer, CNN.com.