ABOUT THE AUTHORS ix
INTRODUCTION: TEACHING AND LEARNING FOR UNDERSTANDING 1
1 HOW CAN WE TEACH FOR MEANINGFUL LEARNING? 11
Brigid Barron and Linda Darling-Hammond
2 READING FOR UNDERSTANDING 71
P. David Pearson, Gina N. Cervetti, and Jennifer L. Tilson
3 MATHEMATICS FOR UNDERSTANDING 113
Alan H. Schoenfeld
4 TEACHING SCIENCE FOR UNDERSTANDING 151
Timothy D. Zimmerman and Elizabeth K. Stage
5 CONCLUSION: CREATING SCHOOLS THAT DEVELOP UNDERSTANDING 193
SUBJECT INDEX 257
NAME INDEX 267
- Influential author. Linda Darling-Hammond is a nationally-recognized expert in education. She is currently involved in congressional briefings on improving NCLB.
- High-profile partner with large outreach to market. The George Lucas Educational Foundation is a major force in pushing education forward. Over 100,000 "change agents of education" subscribe to GLEF's magazine, Edutopia.
- Essential information. Clear, comprehensive, and succinct highlight of the most effective teaching and learning strategies to support meaningful learning.
- Accessible and practical. Classroom vignettes illustrate the best strategies.
- Authoritative content area coverage. The leading education experts in the content areas--language arts, science, and math--distill key findings in an "all-in-one" format.