Part 1: The Laboratory Interface.
1. Basic principles underlying the coagulation system (O'Connell).
2. Laboratory tests of hemostasis (Kitchen and Makris).
3. Molecular diagnostic approaches to hemostasis (James and Lillicrap).
4. Tests of platelet function (Harrison).
Part 2: The Practice of Clinical Hemostasis and Thrombosis.
5. Hemophilia A and B (Maclean and Makris).
6. Von Willebrand disease (Castaman, Tosetto and Rodeghiero).
7. The rarer inherited coagulation disorders (Bolton-Maggs and Wilde).
8. Quantitative platelet disorders (Kahr and Blanchette).
9. Qualitative platelet disorders (Cattaneo).
10. Disseminated intravascular coagulation and other microangiopathies (Kasthuri and Key).
11. Venous thromboembolism (Linkins and Kearon).
12. Arterial thrombosis (Lowe and Tait).
13. Anticoagulation (Palareti and Cosmi).
14. Antiphospholipid syndrome (Watson).
Part 3: The Clinical Interface.
15. Obstetrics (Walker).
16. Pediatrics (Bauman and Massiocotte).
17. Intensive/critical care (Hunt and Stuart-Smith).
18. Cardiothoracic surgery (O'Shaughnessy and von Kier).
19. Hepatology (Patel and Arya).
20. Oncology (Falana and Marchetti).
21. Transfusion (Copplestone).
1. Normal ranges (Kitchen and Makris).
2. Useful Websites (Makris).
British Journal of Biomedical Science
- Advice to guide clinicians through the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of thrombotic and haemostatic disorders
- Each chapter to follow a standard template supplemented with a mini-contents list, key points, further reading and a summary box
- Highlights controversial issues and provides advice for everyday questions