Preface Iheanyi E Okpala.
Foreword Patricia Moberly.
1. The Concept of Comprehensive Care of Sickle Cell Disease.
2. Haemoglobinopathy Diagnostic Tests: Blood Counts, Sickle Solubility Test, Haemoglobin Electrophoresis, & High-Performance Liquid Chromatography.
3. Epidemiology, Genetics and Pathophysiology of Sickle Cell Disease.
4. The Genetics & Multiple Phenotypes of Beta-Thalassaemia.
5. The Diagnosis & Significance of Alpha-Thalassaemia.
6. The Morbid Anatomy of Sickle Cell Disease & Sickle Cell Trait.
7. Sickle Cell Crisis.
8. Treatment Modalities for Pain in Sickle Cell Disease.
9. Management of Sickle Cell Disease in Childhood.
10. Acute Chest Syndrome in Sickle Cell Disease.
11. Blood Transfusion Therapy for Haemoglobinopathies.
12. Management of Pregnancy in Sickle Cell Disease.
13. The Liver in Sickle Cell Diseases.
14. Pulmonary Hypertension: a Complication of Haemolytic States.
15. Stroke in Sickle Cell Disease.
16. Iron Chelation Therapy in Beta Thalassaemia Major.
17. Renal Manifestations of Sickle Cell Disease.
18. Assessment of Severity & Hydroxyurea Therapy in Sickle Cell Disease.
19. Haemopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Thalassaemia & Sickle Cell Disease.
20. Practical Guidelines, Antibiotic Therapy, Exchange Blood Transfusion and Peri-operative Management in Sickle Cell Disease.
21. Opiate Dependence in Sickle Cell Disease.
22. The Roles & Functions of a Community Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia Centre.
23. Community Nursing Care of Adults with Sickle Cell Disease & Thalassaemia.
24. Counselling People Affected by Sickle Cell Disease & Thalassaemia.
25. Sickle Cell Disease & Thalassaemia: The Challenge for Health Professionals and Resources Available.
Colour plates are found between pp. 54-55
- Deals with practical problems encountered in the comprehensive care of affected individuals
- Separate section of self-assessment questions to help candidates preparing for examinations in haematology
- Each chapter written by an expert in the particular aspect of haemoglobinopathy it addresses
- Comprehensive coverage of basic science, laboratory diagnosis, psychosocial support and community care