1 The Need for Negotiation.
Conflict in Our Lives.
Process of Exchange.
Introduction to Planning and Executing the Negotiation.
Audience for Practical Negotiating.
SECTION ONE: PLANNING THE NEGOTIATION.
2 Wants and Needs.
Wants versus Needs.
3 Setting Objectives and Determining Positions.
Needs and Objectives.
Creating a Needs/Objectives Matrix.
Determining Position and Settlement Range.
4 Currencies and Concessions.
Currencies of Exchange.
Making Positive Exchanges.
5 Power in Negotiation.
The Paradox of Power.
The Rule of Power in Negotiation.
Practical Negotiating: Planning Guide—Part 1.
SECTION TWO: EXECUTING THE NEGOTIATION.
6 Negotiation Model: Stages with Critical Tasks.
Stages: The Negotiation Process Road Map.
7 Negotiating Styles and Key Skills.
The Difference between Negotiation Styles and Skills.
Choosing the Best Overall Approach.
8 Win-Win Tactics.
9 Adversarial Tactics and Countertactics.
10 Tactical Orientation.
How to Determine Your Tactical Orientation.
Tactical Orientation Continuum.
11 Special Negotiation Situations.
Negotiating in Buy and Sell Situations.
Negotiating with Your Boss.
12 Putting It All Together.
Practical Negotiating: Planning Guide—Annotated.
Appendix A: Negotiation Style Survey.
Appendix B: Practical Negotiating: Planning Guide.
- Step-by-step framework for the phases and key tasks of negotiating - a “road map” to win/win solutions
- Practical “how to...” approach to planning the negotiation: Identifying needs: ours/theirs Currencies: things we/they have of value to meet those needs
- Understanding your Negotiating Style: Aggressive, Assertive, Open/ Receptive, Avoiding/Withdrawing or Giving in too easily
- Key Skills and Behaviors to stay in the “Win/Win” Zone - Being assertive without being aggressive, Remaining open and receptive without ‘giving in’
- Tactics guide including: Win/Win Tactics, Adversarial Tactics, a systematic way to counter adversarial tactics