List of Contributors.
SECTION 1: THE DIABETES EPIDEMIC: DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM.
1. The Diabetes Epidemic; Genes and Environment Clashing (Paul Zimmet, Adrian Cameron and Jonathan Shaw).
2. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Primary and Secondary Prevention The Vision of the International Diabetes Federation (Pierre Lefèbvre).
3. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Adolescents (Thomas Reinehr and Martin Wabitsch).
SECTION 2: SCREENING FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES.
4. Screening for Undiagnosed Diabetes: Whom, Where, When and How (Tim Kenealy, Bruce Arroll and Peter Müller).
5. Genetic Screening and Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes (Paolo Pozzilli).
6. Screening Parameters and Techniques: Limitations and Opportunities (Knut Borch-Johnsen and Charlotte Glümer).
7. Screening for Diabetes Mellitus – the World Health Organization Perspective (Gojka Roglic, Rhys Williams and Stephen Colagiuri).
SECTION 3: PREVENTION OF TYPE 2 DIABETES.
8. Findings from Preventive Type 2 Diabetes Trials (Markolf Hanefeld).
9. A Paradigm Shift is Needed in the Primary Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes (Jaakko Tuomilehto).
10. The Behaviour Change Process (Frank J. Snoek and Richard R. Rubin).
SECTION 4: PREVENTION OF COMPLICATIONS OF TYPE 2 DIABETES.
11. Preventive Disease Management – Risk Stratification as a New Tool in the Hands of General Practitioners (Thomas Konrad).
12. Prevention of Obesity and Lipid Disorders (Hermann Liebermeister).
13. Renal Dysfunction and Hypertension, Focus on Type 2 Diabetes (Carl Erik Mogensen).
14. Diabetic Retinopathy in the 21st Century: Screening and Visual Outcomes (Ayad Al-Bermani and Roy Taylor).
15. Prevention and Treatment of Diabetic Neuropathy (Anders A. F. Sima).
16. The Cardiologist’s View: Prevention of Macrovascular Complications (Michael Faust, Sabine Wiedenmann and Reinhard Griebenow).
17. Milestones and New Perspectives in Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes and its Complications (Carl Erik Mogensen).
""…presents the latest global perspective on the affliction."" (Electric Review, April/May 2005)
""This is a timely and helpful treatment of an important public health topic. I am unaware of any other contemporary books which address exactly this issue."" (Doody's Health Services)
""An ambitious title, written by some of the world’s leading diabetologists, it takes a very careful approach …"" (Pediatric Endocrinology Reviews (PER), Vol. 3: September 2005)
"" … an excellent resource for professionals … a one-stop source for understanding the state of current prevention knowledge about type 2 diabetes."" (Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, August 2006)